News Ticker

Ten year old girl pregnant after stepfather raped her.

Stepfather raped ten year old Stepfather raped ten year old

A man in Paraguay accused of raping his 10-year-old stepdaughter and getting her pregnant was arrested Saturday, police said.

Benitez Gilberto Zarate, 42, had fled in the wake of the accusation against him. But he denied any wrongdoing to police and local media, and has demanded a DNA test on the unborn child to back up his claim.

An international rights group is pressing the Paraguayan government to allow an abortion for the girl, a procedure that health officials in the South American country have so far blocked.

At issue is Paraguayan law, which bans abortions except in cases where the pregnancy endangers the mother’s life. The Paraguayan Ministry of Health says there’s no indication that the health of the girl, now 22 weeks’ pregnant, is at risk.

But the girl’s family is asking for an abortion, and Amnesty International is backing the family. The group says her age should trigger the health exception and argues that pregnancy poses health risks to young girls whose bodies aren’t fully developed.

Amnesty also says the law is too restrictive, noting that it doesn’t provide additional exceptions for rape.

“The physical and psychological impact of forcing this young girl to continue with an unwanted pregnancy is tantamount to torture,” Amnesty International official Guadalupe Marengo said this week. “The Paraguayan authorities cannot sit idly by while this young rape survivor is forced to endure more agony and torment.”

Doctors learned the girl was pregnant after she entered a hospital in the Paraguayan capital, Asuncion, on April 21 for abdominal pain. That spurred a criminal investigation.

Authorities allege that she was raped by her stepfather, and that the pregnancy stems from that crime, according to the prosecutor in charge of the case, Monalisa Munoz.

The girl’s mother has also been arrested in connection with the case, Munoz said. She faces charges including breaching her duty of care, Amnesty International said.

Amnesty said the girl’s mother has also asked that her daughter be allowed to have an abortion. But Paraguayan Health Minister Antonio Barrios said the pregnancy would continue.

The girl, who has been transferred from a children’s hospital to Asuncion’s Red Cross Hospital, will be taken to a shelter where the state will oversee her prenatal care.

“The Justice Department will determine later who will have custody of the mother and child after (the birth),” Barrios said.

A 2013 United Nations report said that 2 million girls under age 14 give birth in developing countries every year, many of whom suffer resulting long-term or fatal health problems. It estimated that 70,000 adolescents die each year from complications from pregnancy or childbirth.
When should abortion be allowed?

Advertisements

Comments

comments

53 Comments on Ten year old girl pregnant after stepfather raped her.

1. I’m not in favor of abortion but come on 10 is just too young instead of playing with a doll its a baby and a mama so young

2. Rebecca Sluchinski // May 13, 2015 at 6:05 pm // Reply

This poor child has endured so much suffering please don’t allow a baby to have a baby this is not her choice and will harm her further if made to have this child at 10 years old. The parents should be arrested and sterilized from ever having children. This makes me sick to know adults do this and governments will not protect children; they are just as sick for condoning this situation.

3. My goodness, the reasons to let this continue are not enough to outweigh the betterment of the child’s future health, physically and psychologically.

4. This is ridiculous i cant believe adults are overseeing the decision to allow this helpless child to endure such unimaginable pain and disgrace im in total disbelief that this is even legal hasn’t she suffered enough whom ever said this is acceptable is as sick as the bastard that impregnated this baby yall all will meet yall maker one day

5. I’m not for abortions but in this case I really do think it should be allowed poor baby girl I wonder how she feels about the hole situation.

6. I’m against abortions but in this case They need to let that child have an abortion.

7. chastity bragg // May 18, 2015 at 12:06 pm // Reply

This is soooo heart wrenching….statics show how preadolesent pregnancies cause extreme and sometimes fatal health issues to the extremely young mother..The paraguayan health minister is blocking her abortion…why would he do that..it will take years if ever for her to overcome the emotional damage from being raped/ molested..she my never be able to do that if she has lasting health issues because of it. May God show this child mercy.Its a miracle she survived the assault on her little body by a full geown man. That health minister should be ashamed and found guilty of torture…being pregnant at the young age when you can’t possibly understand what’s happening physically..not to mention mentally is torture.. even adult women who are pregnant as a result of rape usually choose abortion over giving birth because that child would always be a constant reminder of the assault. The United Nations need to step up and assist this child..if her own government won’t.

8. They allowed her way past 20 weeks. Its a sad story but you can’t kill off another child that is innocent. Dam savages..

9. Omg lord help this little girl to not be around no more mens lord please lord i am prend lord………

10. No they should not

11. Eugene McDougal // May 18, 2015 at 9:29 pm // Reply

Why is the picture of the young victim being shown and not the picture of the maggot who committed the crime.

12. chrissy williams // May 18, 2015 at 9:44 pm // Reply

This is so cruel and non meal thing to do to a child. I believe he should be shot.

13. It’s just a horrible that a ten year old girl or boy would ever have to go through anything like that that’s my opei

14. I wanna know how it’s possible for a 10 year old to get pregnant. You have to have your period & make eggs in order to be pregnant. Unless she already have gotta her period. This is just sad idek !

• I mean I started my monthly cycle at 9 years old. My mom didn’t have hers until she was 16. Everyone is different!

• Plenty of girls start their period at the age of 8 and 9

• destiny michelle // May 25, 2015 at 4:08 pm // Reply

That’s stupid…. women are born with their eggs. You don’t have to “get your period” to get pregnant, take a damn sex ed class!!! You can start to ovulate at 9, and you ovulate before you have blood come from your vagina, she was ovulating when he raped her, that’s why she’s pregnant

• I started having periods at nine years old. Some girl mature faster than others.

• There are tons of girls our there who start their period at 8, 9, 10 years old

15. That’s wrong its not their body or their choice she should be aloud to do what she wants not what the government wants or her country wants

16. I’m against abortion, everything is a mistake already, you think you can make things right by making another mistake? yes she is just a child, but in God nothing is impossible, she will get thru it, she needs your prayer..

17. Sorry ass mf

18. Lil Tweet // May 19, 2015 at 1:51 am // Reply

kill the sick son of a bitch

19. I dont believe in abortions. But at that age. Thats to young to be having a child. But never the less abortions r wrong.

20. samantha rivera // May 22, 2015 at 11:49 pm // Reply

It’s not the 10 year olds fault for getting pregnant, so why should this unborn baby pay the price with its life…give it to Me instead I’ll gladly take full responsibility for the baby

21. Bash me if you want she should not have an abortion the baby should be placed for adoption or given to a family member! Those crying abortion My God! Why should this unborn child be murdered when this child is suffering enough! But the unborn child should not be aborted funny how people feel for the 10 year old but because the fetus is something they can’t see they don’t have compassion for it! The baby doesn’t deserve to be aborted no more than this ten year old baby deserved to be pregnant 2 wrongs won’t make a right!

• destiny michelle // May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm // Reply

Chances are she won’t be able to carry a baby to full term at her age, and there is No way to tell either one of them will survive the labor. It’s easier to guarantee one life than try to save 2 in this situation.

• samantha rivera // May 25, 2015 at 4:49 pm // Reply

A baby can survive outside the womb at 6 months especially now with technology and medical equipment that we have available… and as for “labor” I’m pretty sure she’ll be just fine….there’s also the option of cesarean delivery… instead of killing this baby why not give it a chance to live…just like “Your” mother gave you a chance to live and didn’t abort you.

• Andromeda // May 25, 2015 at 8:51 pm // Reply

What the hell are you on!! She’s just a baby herself!! She’s not the one deciding on what should happen to the baby its the government and her mother!! You idiot!!

• samantha rivera // May 25, 2015 at 9:11 pm //

Yes, I agree she is way too young, and I wish things like this didn’t happen….but they do, that doesn’t make her a “baby” like you said..what’s done is done might as well make the best out of a sad situation… why make it worse and have this Child have an abortion which Can prevent her from having any children in the future….And please grow up and stop with the name calling..

• This is sick, this is just a child. For goodness sake abort the baby. This child has gone through so much in her short life. Surely she should not have to go through any more agonising pain, and heartache. Feel so sorry for hear. God bless her.

22. Andromeda // May 25, 2015 at 8:48 pm // Reply

OMG u poor baby I am so sorry this horrible, disgusting thing has happened to you!! I can’t believe your mother let it happen she is as sick as the thing that did this to you. My heart is full of sadness and love for you. I so hope that whatever the outcome of this whole situation, you will be alright. You so deserve so much better than this!!! I hope and pray that you will survive this horrible ordeal.

23. This is cruelty towards this poor inocente child, again I say child, abortion should be given in cases such as this, this government is ignorant,….take that poor child out of this misery pleeeease

24. Chakita Stewart // May 26, 2015 at 6:37 pm // Reply

I believe that either way u look at it then child is ruined.whether she keeps the baby or has an abortion her insides r ruined.not just physically but emotionally its so sad

25. I was raped by my step dad from the time I was 7 til 2 days before my mom died when I was 11. Two weeks after my mom died I found out I was preagnet I chose to have my baby. There was no complicationsor anything. Through everything I went on to strive to make my life better for me and my son. I graduated at 16 and went to college I now am married and have 5 kids my kids are 23, 17, 15, 9&6. Having my first baby when I did only gave me strenght to do better. But I know everyone is different

• 18karatreggae@gmail.com // May 27, 2015 at 12:01 am // Reply

Wow!! Sorry to hear you story. Glad to know you turned out alright. Your stepfather was evil.

• So u saying its ok cause it HAPPEN to you too no that’s sad n so is your step father dont know how u still call him that n why dod it go on so long did u tell where was your mom wtf is wrong with people u were a child n made a decision that u now as an adult so comfortable with cause u love hell out of your child from rape but the rape was wrong n u being 11n pregnant is wrong ,But glad u overcame it n hope n pray u don’t condone that madness cause kills being sexual n or pregnant is wrong n not natural nor normal.

26. Hello this trameicka Ross I am deaf so i want be adopting from u i wd like care the baby i love it the children’s please let me know when u feel like to talk to me i Will be there for u thank u

27. Arhin wireko // June 19, 2015 at 10:13 pm // Reply

can i be your friend?please answer me

28. please say this is a Photoshop.AWFUL!

29. im very sorry..I can help adopting the baby..please reply

30. hi i am tracy // July 14, 2015 at 9:51 pm // Reply

well I think that the girl mite be saying that the dad ,could off dun it but then children do lie a lot to cover them own story of seeing a boy or a man so ,no I don’t think abortoins the answer I think she should keep it and give it to care if the story is true or not young girls going on like there 20 this days so be share what is really real.

• You are sick she’s 10 n not 20 u must b one of the devils that prey on women n chrildren shame on u to blame a child for a grown person action

31. the world is coming to an end, because Jesus said if you see all those things happen, the is…………………….

32. Yes!!! Abortion…jail both parents…give them hard labour…

33. I’m just now reading this..my heart goes out to this young girl and her baby…..shame on the Paraguay government for making her decision! IF she had to go through with the delivery…hopefully she had a C-Section and the little girls body has not been harmed in any way.