Organisers of Reggae Sumfest 2015 have renewed their efforts to get American R&B singer Chris Brown to perform at this year’s staging of the festival, as a replacement for hip hop artiste, Rick Ross, who is also an American.
Late last week, Summerfest Promotions, organisers of Reggae Sumfest 2015, reported that Ross, who is currently facing kidnapping and assault charges in the United States, has been dropped from the festival’s line-up due to “circumstances beyond the control of the organisers”.
But yesterday, chairman of Summerfest Promotions Johnny Gourzong told 18 Karat Reggae that “we are trying to get Chris Brown”, emphasising that they believe he would be a good replacement for Ross.
Gourzong added that if organizers fail to sign Brown, then “we will be looking to get TI”, who is also an American hip hop recording artiste.
An announcement on the outcome of the negotiations, he added, would be made by Tuesday of this week.
Last month, organizers of the event said efforts to sign Brown, who last performed on the Reggae Sumfest stage in 2010, fell through because he had landed an Australian tour that clashed with the Reggae Sumfest 2015 dates.
It is not clear if the Australian tour is still on.
Sumfest is scheduled for July 12-18 in the resort city of Montego Bay.