Below are 13 facts about Jamaica that you might not have known.
1. Jamaica had electricity before the United State.
2. Jamaica had running water before the United States.
3. Jamaica telephone system was so sophisticated it was copied by AT&T.
4. Jamaica has the most churches per square mile of any country in the world.
5. Jamaica is the first team from the English-speaking Caribbean to qualify for the Football (Soccer) World Cup.
6. Jamaica stands strong in 3rd place on the list of countries to win the most Miss World titles.
7. Jamaica was the first commercial producer of bananas in the Western Hemisphere.
8. The Manchester Golf Club in Jamaica , established in 1868, is the oldest in the western hemisphere.
9. Jamaica was the first country to impose economic sanctions against the apartheid regime of South Africa.
10. Jamaica was the first tropical country to enter the IOC Winter Olympics. The bob sleigh team’s efforts inspired the film “Cool Runnings”.
11. Jamaica was the first colony England acquired by conquest. This was in the year 1655 when the Spanish were driven from the island.
12. Jamaica was the first British colonial territory to establish a postal service (in 1688).
13. Jamaica was the first country in the Western world to construct a railway, even before the United States.
Honorable mention: Jamaican Flag is the ONLY flag in the world that doesn’t share any of the colors of the American flag.