1. If you are 21 or older you can buy recreational marijuana in Colorado, Washington, Oregon and Alaska.
2. If you are in Jamaica, whether as a tourist or you live there, you can have up to two ounces of weed without being charged for a crime. Marijuana is decriminalized in Jamaica where two ounces or less is only a ticketable offense.
3. Medical marijuana is legal in 29 states. If Hillary Clinton had won the United States presidency, it is believed that medical marijuana would have been legal at the federal level by 2020.
4. Even if marijuana is legal in your state you can still be fired for smoking marijuana. If your employer conducts regular drug tests and you fail for marijuana, it is grounds for firing.
5. Both former presidents Clinton and Obama smoked marijuana even though Clinton claims he did not inhale.
6. The United States government owns and operates a pot store. Profits go to special projects, like upgrading the local playground.
7. A Jamaican marijuana farmer once offered president Obama 10 acres of marijuana if the former president would let his daughter marry the weed farmer’s teenage son.
8. There’s a black market for pot, even where it’s legal. That’s not just because old habits die hard. Illegal pot is cheaper because it’s tax-free, while legal recreational pot is taxed heavily. There’s a 28% tax in Colorado and a 37% tax In Washington. In Oregon, the tax ranges between 17% and 20%, depending on the city and county.
9. Banking is a buzzkill for pot shops. Pot remains illegal in the eyes of the federal government, which classifies it the same as heroin. Banks are regulated by the feds, which means that cannabis shops mostly deal in cash.
10. You can’t take marijuana across state lines. Even when two legal states share a border, as Washington and Oregon do, carrying weed across state lines runs afoul of federal law. Don’t bring it on a plane, and don’t mail it.
11. You can’t smoke and drive. Driving while stoned is illegal and dangerous, just like drunken driving. But there’s no Breathalyzer for weed, a conundrum for cops.
12. You can’t smoke weed in public anywhere. Sorry, but those 420 pot parties in city parks are illegal, even in states where cannabis is legal.